Monday, October 21, 2013

SUMMER RECAP: (accidentaly) hiking the Greek mountains


I left the pink palace and headed to spend a week working at a guest house in the Greek mountains. It was a beautiful place called papigno!!


I had a gorgeous room all to myself!


The first day we had no guests so we spent it preparing for our new guest and I spent some time hiking around the area.

Very very happy with what I found.

Our guests arrive the next day. It was two Greek American families who were fabulous. The first night they made us a BBQ.


Then the second day we decided we would go on a short “nature walk” with all the kids which really just meant hiking up to micro papigno (the littler town about 40 minutes up the road). Once we made it a lot of the kids wanted to turn around. We stopped at had our packed lunches (the only food we had brought with us) and then me, tatti, David, and the dads continued. There was a path we wanted to follow so we thought we would hike up for awhile. But then we got so enthralled in the whole hike. We knew there was a refuge you could reach after 3-4 hours and so about an hour in we realized it wasn’t even worth going back down. SO with no food, no clean clothes, no towels or soap, and me the only one having cash, we climbed our way to the top of the mountain!




We arrived and ate a MASSIVE meal. Then we hung out, and passed out in the bunks they had for us there.



The next morning David, Ed and I decided to go for the summit! We woke up at 6am to get ready to go! It was another 3 hours up. And these were some of the hardest 3 hours of my life. My legs were starting to get stiff, it was steep and rocky, and about ½ way through we suffered ridiculous fly attacks. I kid you not I have NEVER been swarmed by that many flies for that long in my entire life. It was not fun in any way shape or form. I wanted out of there.

We finally made it to the summit but didn’t stick around too long to take pictures because of the flies- they were that bad. I just wanted down. I was the first to make it to the bottom another 2 hours later and didn’t stop there. I continued all the way back to papigno within another 2.5 hours.

It was quite the incredible accident, and I was sore for days! But I loved my time working at the guest house before I left Greece and was off to bigger and more exciting things in Albania!

No comments:

Post a Comment